SQL server Replication ( Partial Replication is allowed or not )

Discussion in 'microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication' started by Preks, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Preks

Preks Guest

Dear All,

I have worked with merge replication, however I and not able to solve following scenario.

I do not know whether it is SQL server limitation or this functionality does not exists in the SQL server.

The scenario is as follows

I have got one main SQL server database of size 2 GB approx. We have 15 different locations of the same database. Currently we are synchronizing our 16 DB once in a month. using merge replication.

However for the first time when I do merge replication it is creating Snapshot file and we are sending the snapshot file in the tape drive to 15 different locations to update their database. This works fine and next time replication goes without snapshot. Now due to large organization we constantly changing our DB to incorporate new functionality, which includes addition of new tables and small changes into existing tables, like addition of new fields and change into relations between newly added tables and old tables.

Since relations have been changed and new tables have been incorporated in the database, the existing merge replication is not working, here I am force to create new snapshot for the entire db again, send that to all location once again.

So I want to avoid this creation of snapshot, though the db has been changed, for one initial DB it is ok, however for subsequent changes I want to use exiting setup for publisher, distributor and subscriber.

Can some one guide me, as our locations are at different parts of the century and till db is getting synchronized for a time, send db is getting ready to send across all locations. Till all locations are getting copy and updated with the new copy it takes around 20 days.

How do I solve this scenario, we have all the SQL server live with 64 kbps BW.

Regards
    Prakash

Preks, Jul 19, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Preks

Paul Ibison Guest

Preks,
    you could synchronize all the subscribers, drop the publication, make the schema changes to publisher and subscribers using linked servers then recreate the publications and do a no-sync initialization as before.
    HTH,
    Paul Ibison

Paul Ibison, Jul 19, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question