why is DecisionTree view arranged in the Mining Model Viewer of Time Series?

Discussion in 'microsoft.public.sqlserver.datamining' started by Peter c, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Peter c

Peter c Guest

Hello,
    when I use the mining modle viewer of time series modle in BI Development,the decision tree view appears.
    I don't understand the relationship between the decision tree and the time series modle.So I am puzzled to it.
    Whould you please tell me the relationship between them and the use of the decision tree in time series modle?

Thanks.
    Peter.C

Peter c, Feb 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Peter c

Erik Guest

For each time serie a descision tree is built, using the other time series and the historical trends etc. as input parameters. I.e. when trying to forecast the sales of one product the next month, the time serie algorithm builds a descsion tree for that product with the historical sales of that product, and the sales of all other products.

Erik, Feb 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. The second tab of the viewer displays the series with predictions.

Jamie MacLennan \(MS\), Feb 13, 2006
  4. Peter c

Peter.c Guest

I still don't understand why a descsion tree is needed in the time series modle.
    Who can give me a hand?
    Thanks.
    Peter.C

Peter.c, Feb 14, 2006
  5. Hello, Peter

As Erik mentioned, the regression formulae for time series are detected by building a decision tree, which takes as regressors various model variables (such as previous values of the current series as well as values of other correlated series). An example of such a formula:
    Sales(Today) = 0.6*Sales(Today - 2) + 0.5*Sales(Today-1)+0.73

The regression tree viewer exposes the regresion formulae plus whatever non-linearity conditions detected in the series (conditions which typically translate into splits in the tree).
    E.g.:
    If (Sales(Today-1) > 500) Then
    Sales(Today) = 1.1*Sales(Today - 2) + 0.73
    Else
    Sales(Today) = 1.2*Sales(Today-1) + 0.5

Therefore, basically, the first pane displays the formulae while the second pane forecasts based on those formulae.

thanks
    bogdan

Bogdan Crivat, Feb 14, 2006
  6. Peter c

Peter.c Guest

Hello,Bogdan
    then,the decision tree will determine the regressors in various linearity conditions,won't it?

Peter.C
    thanks.

Peter.c, Feb 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question